On 17th March 2009 1st Action expressed our concern on BBC News Breakfast watch video that not enough was being done to make the general public aware that from 1st April 2009 the ONLY qualification for a gas engineer would be the Gas Safe Register and that CORGI was no longer a valid qualification to do the job.
We urged the Health and Safety Executive to make sure that it is made clear to the public that CORGI has been replaced by this new standard and that they must be just as vigilant in employing only a Gas Safe Registered boiler engineer as they were about CORGI.
They confirmed their intentions and stated in the interview that the main change in the future administration of the Gas Safe Register would be its investment in raising public awareness of the dangers of a badly fitted gas installation.
We welcome the raising of this awareness and the new television advertising campaign notifying the public of the changes.
All 1st Action gas boiler engineers are Gas Safe Registered and we hope that there will be an ongoing promotional campaign by the HSE to highlight the dangers that can arise out of a gas installation or repair carried out by an unregistered and inexperienced engineer
We cannot over emphasise the dangers of a poor installation of gas boilers and equipment.
Whilst properly installed and serviced boilers, cookers and gas fires are perfectly safe, badly fitted boilers that are not serviced regularly hold killer dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and explosion.
Don’t take risks with the lives of your family